35-40% performance drop releng9 vs releng10 openvpn

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Wed Mar 18 19:49:46 UTC 2015

On 3/16/2015 9:20 AM, John-Mark Gurney wrote:

> Since you have at test framework ready, you could generate some flame
> graphs[1] using dtrace to help see where things might be having an
> impact...
>
> These are very easy to generate, and posting them would be useful...
>
> [1] http://www.brendangregg.com/FlameGraphs/cpuflamegraphs.html

Hi,
	I went through the steps to generate one. What args should I use for
dtrace to generate the information that is helpful / useful ? For my
setup, I have

server1---------apu-------------server2

server1 has an openvpn tunnel to the apu
I route server2's IP address across the VPN tunnel, so if I ping from
server1 to server2's IP, it goes via the tunnel

on the

  dtrace -x ustackframes=100 -n 'profile-99 /execname == "openvpn" &&
arg1/ {  @[ustack()] = count(); } tick-30s { exit(0); }' -o 10.stacks

which generated
http://tancsa.com/10.svg

	---Mike