No sound on 10.1-RELEASE

Piotr Kubaj pkubaj at riseup.net
Wed Mar 11 22:09:45 UTC 2015

On 03/11/15 02:12, Chris H wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Mar 2015 12:15:22 +0100 Piotr Kubaj <pkubaj at riseup.net> wrote
>
>> On 03/08/15 22:15, Chris H wrote:
>>> On Sun, 08 Mar 2015 19:14:47 +0100 Piotr Kubaj <pkubaj at riseup.net> wrote

> ----8<---BIG-SNIP---

>>> Out of the 4 MSI boards I that I have; 3 run the same
>>> Realtek ALC893 HDA CODEC that yours does. The other, the
>>> Realtek ALC1200 HDA CODEC. All four of them work. But I
>>> notice 1 notable difference; that yours reports 2
>>> HDA interfaces:
>>> hdac0: <NVIDIA (0x0fbb) HDA Controller>
>>> and
>>> hdac1: <Intel Wellsburg HDA Controller>
>>> I see hdac0 is disregarded (unused) whereas
>>> hdac1 is enabled, and functioning. I think your problems
>>> quite possibly lies in your (sound) system attempting to
>>> use the first HDA device in the list, which is effectively
>>> disabled. If you can determine a way to tell KDE, and friends
>>> to use the 2nd HDA. Things may well go as intended.
>>> None of the 4 MSI boards I have display 2 HDA's, as yours
>>> does.
>>> If you have any additional questions, you may well find
>>> the FreeBSD forums already have answers to your issue. This
>>> is where I originally found answers to my issues, when I
>>> first started using these boards.
>>>
>>> HTH

>> I don't think it's KDE's fault, as it also happens when I kill KDE
>> (service kdm4 stop) and do cat /dev/random > /dev/dsp. Of course, I have
>> vol and pcm maxed out.
> If your speakers are amplified, you should hear them "pop",
> when the kernel finds, and creates/attaches the driver(s) to
> it. Same would be true, if you were wearing your headphones
> when bouncing your box.
> I'm quite sure that the sound system is defaulting the the first
> HDA presented. Which, in your case, is the one that is disabled/
> non-operational. It's not KDE per se; but how the software
> decides, by default, to hook sound up. If you had a sound
> control panel available in KDE. You *should* be able to
> *choose* which sound device to use. In your case, provided
> it's even seen, it would be the *2nd* HDA. The sound control
> panel should also present the *status* of the sound device
> that it's using. Which, in your case, would indicate everything
> as being "muted", and/or "unavailable".
> On the box I'm writing this from, the HDA/CODEC is the
> Realtek ALC893, as yours is. I have it hooked up to a 700 watt
> external amplifier that I use as sound for my entire house.
> With the amplifier turned on, if I bounce the box (reboot)
> I hear a "pop" when the kernel detects/attaches to the
> sound chip. These are the relevant, and only "sound" related
> devices, created/listed in /dev:
>
> cd0
>
> dsp0.0
> dsp1.0
> dsp2.0
> dsp4.0
>
> midistat
> mixer0
> mixer1
> [...]
I've deleted all other drivers except for snd_hda and sound but NVIDIA
interfaces also use snd_hda driver. Also, I have already set up
hw.snd.default_unit=4, which is the analog Intel interface (included in
my 1st mail). I'm not sure how I should choose the default device in
KDE, since it's chosen in hw.snd.default_unit. I'm not sure how you are
able to hear a "pop" when sound devices are detected because it doesn't
work that way on any of my other PC's (6 in total).