No sound on 10.1-RELEASE

Chris H bsd-lists at bsdforge.com
Sun Mar 8 21:14:33 UTC 2015

On Sun, 08 Mar 2015 19:14:47 +0100 Piotr Kubaj <pkubaj at riseup.net> wrote

> On 03/07/15 01:55, Chris H wrote:
> > On Sat, 07 Mar 2015 00:08:38 +0100 Piotr Kubaj <pkubaj at riseup.net> wrote
> >
> >> I've got MSI X99 motherboard and am using it with UEFI installation of
> >> 10.1 (BIOS mode doesn't work with FreeBSD). At first, sound worked
> >> properly (even in KDE), but now it doesn't. I'm not sure what happened,
> >> since snd_hda is in kernel (I use GENERIC). I've checked all possible
> >> values of hw.snd.default_unit and turned off KDE to check what happens
> >> when doing cat /dev/random > /dev/dsp (it does nothing).
> >> Attached below is dmesg and /dev/sndstat.
> >>
> > -----8<-------
> >
> >> Installed devices:
> >> pcm0: <NVIDIA (0x0071) (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play)
> >> pcm1: <NVIDIA (0x0071) (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play)
> >> pcm2: <NVIDIA (0x0071) (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play)
> >> pcm3: <NVIDIA (0x0071) (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play)
> >> pcm4: <Realtek ALC892 (Rear Analog 5.1/2.0)> (play/rec) default
> >> pcm5: <Realtek ALC892 (Front Analog)> (play/rec)
> >> pcm6: <Realtek ALC892 (Rear Digital)> (play)
> >> pcm7: <USB audio> (rec)
> > Honestly, this could potentially go a lot of different directions;
> > software/driver(s)/setup...
> > It might be helpful to get the pinouts. The kernel
> > (dmesg(8)) will provide it for you. You can see them by;
> > loader.conf(5)
> > adding the following to /boot/loader.conf:
> >
> > boot_verbose="YES"
> >
> > or by simply selecting boot verbose on the loader menu
> > 6 --> boot verbose
> >
> > and then getting the results from dmesg(8)
> > /var/run/dmesg.boot
> >
> > If everything looks as anticipated, you might check that
> > your software is using the right sound system (OSS).
> > I've had very good experiences on these sound systems by
> > installing
> > audio/xfce4-mixer
> > doing so, always seems to get the correct settings for
> > everything on these boards -- even if you never use
> > the application.
> > Because these boards can be so troublesome where sound
> > is concerned; I used to have a script that would both
> > check, as well as set everything up. But I can't seem
> > to locate it ATM.
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > --Chris
> >

> I'm not sure what may be wrong in dmesg.boot so I've uploaded it here:
> http://pastebin.com/pP0KXp4v
Out of the 4 MSI boards I that I have; 3 run the same
Realtek ALC893 HDA CODEC that yours does. The other, the
Realtek ALC1200 HDA CODEC. All four of them work. But I
notice 1 notable difference; that yours reports 2
HDA interfaces:
hdac0: <NVIDIA (0x0fbb) HDA Controller>
and
hdac1: <Intel Wellsburg HDA Controller>
I see hdac0 is disregarded (unused) whereas
hdac1 is enabled, and functioning. I think your problems
quite possibly lies in your (sound) system attempting to
use the first HDA device in the list, which is effectively
disabled. If you can determine a way to tell KDE, and friends
to use the 2nd HDA. Things may well go as intended.
None of the 4 MSI boards I have display 2 HDA's, as yours
does.
If you have any additional questions, you may well find
the FreeBSD forums already have answers to your issue. This
is where I originally found answers to my issues, when I
first started using these boards.

HTH

> KDE is definitely using OSS as chosen in its settings (I also use its
> own mixer which can do the same as Xfce's). I also use VLC's Phonon
> backend because Gstreamer is said to cause problems, but that also works
> on 3 other computers.

--Chris