can the l2arc memory leak fix be pulled into 10.1-RELEASE ?

Slawa Olhovchenkov slw at zxy.spb.ru
Thu Jun 25 09:14:00 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 01:05:58PM -0700, Xin Li wrote:

> On 06/23/15 04:36, Reko Turja wrote:
> > -----Original Message----- From: Willem Jan Withagen Sent: Monday,
> > June 22, 2015 11:48 PM To: Daniel Genis ;
> > freebsd-stable at freebsd.org Subject: Re: can the l2arc memory leak
> > fix be pulled into 10.1-RELEASE ?

> >> The RELEASE branch is exactly what it says, RELEASE. And is only
> >> done once per version when the actual official RELEASE is. So the
> >> next one will be the upcoming 10.2-RELEASE. Which is schedules
> >> for August 2015 according to:
> >
> > There are actually 2 branches tracking release: RELEASE which is
> > the original release itself and RELENG which is the
> > release+security and some errata fixes. In practice one should
> > always track and compile RELENG sources with production servers,
> > unless there's a bugfix or added driver that's only available in
> > STABLE.
>
> The release/X.Y.Z are actually "tags" and not branches (i.e. read only
> copy of whatever state is in the release engineering/errata branch,
> releng/X.Y, is at the time it's released), but technically in svn a
> tag is also a branch.  We do all efforts to avoid making any changes
> once a tag is laid, because it's a historical and reference point.
>
> Users who use -RELEASE should track releng/X.Y branch, or use
> freebsd-update(1) to keep their system up-to-date.
>
> Our goal is to allow a majority of users to use binary releases
> without having to compile and build themselves.  If you know some
> specific reasons that forces you to compile yourself, please consider
> sending re@ an email so we will see what we can improve this.

You are some wrong.
Tracking releng/X.Y for -RELEASE don't allow reproductable build of
-RELEASE image: after existing errata `svn export releng/X.Y` give
different result compared to original release build. This is wrong.
Building release image must be also from `svn export release/X.Y.Z`.
Last release (10.1) will be build from releng/10.1 and I can't find
easy way to get source of releases form svn.