can the l2arc memory leak fix be pulled into 10.1-RELEASE ?

Reko Turja reko.turja at liukuma.net
Tue Jun 23 11:37:12 UTC 2015

-----Original Message-----
From: Willem Jan Withagen
Sent: Monday, June 22, 2015 11:48 PM
To: Daniel Genis ; freebsd-stable at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: can the l2arc memory leak fix be pulled into 10.1-RELEASE ?

>> We are kind of new to FreeBSD, so we're wondering what are the plans to
>> merge these fixes into the 10.1-RELEASE branch ?
>>
>> We'd love to get these fixes without having to rebuild the kernel.
>> Is there any chance for the merge to happen in the near future, or
>> should we compile the kernel to get the fixes?

>The RELEASE branch is exactly what it says, RELEASE. And is only done
>once per version when the actual official RELEASE is. So the next one
>will be the upcoming 10.2-RELEASE. Which is schedules for August 2015
>according to:

There are actually 2 branches tracking release: RELEASE which is the
original release itself and RELENG which is the release+security and some
errata fixes. In practice one should always track and compile RELENG sources
with production servers, unless there's a bugfix or added driver that's only
available in STABLE.

> The other way to get to the front of the like is starting and tracking
> 10-STABLE which is the running front of the kernel/software development.

STABLE means stable ABI, not necessarily that the branch is running stable.
It should be considered more as a beta, than something to track if one does
want. (Yes, there can be even major breakages in STABLE. It's not usual but
it can happen.)

The running front of development is HEAD, which is 11.0 at this time - once
latest major release gets first "dot" release, the major version number of
HEAD gets advanced. HEAD is more or less recommended for those who can deal
with debugging breakages and whatnot and can be severely broken from time to
time.

It looks like at the moment the fix for you would be temporarily
track/compile 10.1 STABLE and then once 10.2 is released start tracking 10.2
RELENG

-Reko