vt does not resume properly after zzz [related powerpc64/GENERIC64 report?]

Mark Millard markmi at dsl-only.net
Tue Sep 30 06:27:11 UTC 2014

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ppc/2014-September/007204.html (from Sept. 13) may be related to this report. It was titled:

> For newer XOrg/drivers powerpc64/GENERIC64 for NVIDIA no longer crash but Option-Fn gets nearly black text on black background

Its details were then (some [...] notes added)...

> I've updated to ports r368074 which updated Xorg, the drivers, and even gcc (to 4.8.3). I used portmaster -t -D -a. This was on both...
>
> FreeBSD FBSDG4S0 10.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 10.1-PRERELEASE #0 r271215: Sat Sep  6 23:56:15 PDT 2014     root at FBSDG4S0:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  powerpc
>
> FreeBSD FBSDG5S0 10.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 10.1-PRERELEASE #0 r271278: Mon Sep  8 12:40:56 PDT 2014     root at FBSDG5S0:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC64  powerpc
>
> both being booted on Quad Core G5 PowerMacs with the GeForce 7800 GT's to update and rebooted to test. (Both of these SSDs are builds for WITH_DEBUG_FILES= and WITHOUT_CLANG= and WITH_DEBUG= in /etc/make.conf.)
>
> The powerpc/GENERIC worked find for Option-Fn use.
>
> The powerpc64/GENERIC64 appeared to have the black screen issue. [Prior versions had a crash that left the screen black and this wording refers to that older context where the server was quitting and a core was being left behind.] But...
>
> ... I noticed something for powerpc64/GENERIC64 due to the lighting being different than earlier [where I had assumed that the crash was still present]:
>
> Option-Fn is(!) displaying the VTn display but just extremely faintly: instead of the text being a fairly bright white against a black background for powerpc64/GENERIC64 the text is nearly the same black color as the background. But it is slightly lighter and in properly set up conditions I can read it. (It may be monitor dependent on if there is enough of a difference to actually see it that well.) Option-F9 gets back to xfce4's display just fine too.
>
> The powerpc64/GENERIC64 Xorg crash is gone as of this update. [Again referring to the older version's crash problem on PowerMacs.]
>
> I've not tried other contexts yet. (Such as NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600 on a PowerMac G4.)
>

> Side notes:
>
> Because historically I've had lots of problems with gcc (re)builds/updates on powerpc or powerpc64 otherwise, I have the full-bootstrap option enabled for building lang/gcc.
>
> The only reason [that I] use WITHOUT_CLANG= is because I get failures otherwise when WITH_DEBUG_FILES= is enabled. Specifically: ... /libclangsema.a(SemaAccess.o): Unknown relocation type ????? for symbol *UND*

powerpc/GENERIC was then and is now still syscons by default. powerpc64/GENERIC64 for .../stable/10/sys/powerpc/conf/GENERIC64 switched to vt as the default on Sept. 4 (r271111 MFC'd r265871). At the time I had not noticed the changed status and so was incorrectly thinking syscons throughout the note.

===
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net