pkg 1.3.8 requested but not available?

Patrick Gibson gibblertron at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 22:35:56 UTC 2014

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 2:53 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I would guess that, since 1.3.8 needs to rebuild the package database,
> earlier versions of pkg can't safely install it? The port is likely special
> in that it uses the just-built pkg to install itself instead of relying on
> the installed one (otherwise you couldn't bootstrap-install pkg at all).

The port I was trying to install was lang/v8 (3.18.5). I don't see anything
in the Makefile that says it needs a particular version of pkg, but maybe
it's hidden somewhere else. Either way, something seems broken or not well
thought out. This is an up-to-date 10.0 system with a very vanilla
configuration.