getting to 4K disk blocks in ZFS

Larry Rosenman ler at lerctr.org
Sat Sep 20 00:04:51 UTC 2014

On 2014-09-19 18:59, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
> On Sep 19, 2014, at 5:43 PM, Steven Hartland <killing at multiplay.co.uk>
> wrote:
>

>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Karl Denninger"
>> <karl at denninger.net>

>>> Where is Smartctl getting it from?
>>> smartctl -i /dev/da2
>>> smartctl 6.3 2014-07-26 r3976 [FreeBSD 10.1-BETA1 amd64] (local
>>> build)
>>> Copyright (C) 2002-14, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke,
>>> www.smartmontools.org
>>> === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
>>> Device Model:     HGST HDN724040ALE640
>>> Serial Number:    PK2334PCG6NA0B
>>> LU WWN Device Id: 5 000cca 24cc30684
>>> Firmware Version: MJAOA5E0
>>> User Capacity:    4,000,787,030,016 bytes [4.00 TB]
>>> Sector Sizes:     512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical
>>> Rotation Rate:    7200 rpm
>>> Form Factor:      3.5 inches
>>> Device is:        Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P
>>> showall]
>>> ATA Version is:   ATA8-ACS T13/1699-D revision 4
>>> SATA Version is:  SATA 3.0, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 6.0 Gb/s)
>>> Local Time is:    Fri Sep 19 18:33:16 2014 CDT
>>> SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
>>> SMART support is: Enabled
>>> It's not coming from a database, as Smartctl doesn't know about these
>>> (yet); they're too new.
>>
>> Exception to prove the rule?
>>
>> What to "camcontrol identify da2" report?
>
> Was there some recent change made to have that command report sector
> size information?  Last I checked, it didn’t.

borg.lerctr.org /home/ler $ sudo camcontrol identify ada0
pass1: <ST2000DL003-9VT166 CC32> ATA-8 SATA 3.x device
pass1: 300.000MB/s transfers (SATA 2.x, UDMA6, PIO 8192bytes)

protocol              ATA/ATAPI-8 SATA 3.x
device model          ST2000DL003-9VT166
firmware revision     CC32
serial number         5YDA1ZL4
WWN                   5000c50053825268
cylinders             16383
heads                 16
sectors/track         63
sector size           logical 512, physical 512, offset 0
LBA supported         268435455 sectors
LBA48 supported       3907029168 sectors
PIO supported         PIO4
DMA supported         WDMA2 UDMA6
media RPM             5900

Feature                      Support  Enabled   Value           Vendor
read ahead                     yes      yes
write cache                    yes      yes
flush cache                    yes      yes
overlap                        no
Tagged Command Queuing (TCQ)   no       no
Native Command Queuing (NCQ)   yes              32 tags
NCQ Queue Management           no
NCQ Streaming                  no
Receive & Send FPDMA Queued    no
SMART                          yes      yes
microcode download             yes      yes
security                       yes      no
power management               yes      yes
advanced power management      no       no
automatic acoustic management  yes      yes     0/0x00  254/0xFE
media status notification      no       no
power-up in Standby            no       no
write-read-verify              yes      no      0/0x0
unload                         no       no
general purpose logging        yes      yes
free-fall                      no       no
Data Set Management (DSM/TRIM) no
Host Protected Area (HPA)      yes      no      3907029168/3907029168
HPA - Security                 no
borg.lerctr.org /home/ler $ sudo camcontrol identify ada1
pass2: <ST2000DL003-9VT166 CC3D> ATA-8 SATA 3.x device
pass2: 300.000MB/s transfers (SATA 2.x, UDMA6, PIO 8192bytes)

protocol              ATA/ATAPI-8 SATA 3.x
device model          ST2000DL003-9VT166
firmware revision     CC3D
serial number         5YD6FPLG
WWN                   5000c500469a1d07
cylinders             16383
heads                 16
sectors/track         63
sector size           logical 512, physical 4096, offset 0