FreeBSD 10.1 BETA 1 on MacBook

Neal Nelson nealie at nicandneal.net
Mon Sep 15 15:55:38 UTC 2014

Hi all.

I've been trying to install FreeBSD 10.1 BETA1 on a MacBook Pro as part
of a dual boot environment. I used to be able to install FreeBSD before
10.0, but not since. I was told this was an EFI problem, so I have tried
to make an EFI installation, which the installer doesn't seem to do.

Anyway, I am able to do an EFI boot using rEFInd which loads the loader
and kernel quite happily, but when it tried to boot the kernel I get:

Booting [/boot/kernel/kernel]...
Start @ 0xffffffff802d8990 ...

And then nothing else happens.

Has anyone got this working? Does it even make sense me trying to get
this working, since I am unable to get a bootable system using the
installer. Should dual booting on a Mac work these days >= 10.0?

Thanks,

Neal.