Using CARP with multiple IP aliases (FBSD 10.0)

Steven Hartland killing at multiplay.co.uk
Thu Sep 11 16:34:51 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
From: "Freddie Cash" <fjwcash at gmail.com>
To: "Steven Hartland" <killing at multiplay.co.uk>
Cc: "FreeBSD Stable" <freebsd-stable at freebsd.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2014 5:24 PM
Subject: Re: Using CARP with multiple IP aliases (FBSD 10.0)

> On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 8:54 AM, Steven Hartland <killing at multiplay.co.uk>
> wrote:
>

>> I believe you need a seperate vhid per IP assuming you want each to fail
>> over
>> to another machine when it goes down e.g.
>> ifconfig igb0 inet 1.2.3.4/24 vhid 30 pass mypass
>> ifconfig igb0 inet 1.2.3.5/32 vhid 31 pass mypass alias
>> ifconfig igb0 inet 1.2.3.6/32 vhid 32 pass mypass alias
>> ifconfig igb0 inet 1.2.3.7/32 vhid 33 pass mypass alias
>
> ifconfig igb0 inet 1.2.3.8/32 vhid 34 pass mypass alias
>>

> ​That's what I'm trying to avoid.  :)  And everything appears to get added
> to the interf>
> ace correctly:

I can't say I've used it in that way and I'm not sure how carp decides how
to fail over when it has multiple IP's available.

I can confirm you don't need all the params when adding an IP to vhid.
so you can for example configure the vhid and then add the IP's or do
as you have done and configure it on the first IP.

Best thing to do is try it and see.

    Regards
    Steve