VMware and 8.4 known issues?

Bjoern A. Zeeb bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net
Tue Sep 9 22:50:00 UTC 2014

On 09 Sep 2014, at 18:56 , Charles Sprickman <spork at bway.net> wrote:

Hi,

> I have about a dozen FreeBSD 8.4 VMs running on a pair of ESXi
> (5.0.0, build 469512) boxes.  Generally, I have not had any problems
> with this configuration.  However one particular VM, which is
> running the same kernel and same VMware settings as the other VMs
> has paniced twice in the past few months.
>
> I do not have a core dump, but both times a message regading the
> CD-ROM device was logged shortly before the panic:
>
> Sep 9 08:50:56 shellvm kernel: ata1: WARNING - READ_TOC read data
> overrun 18>12

I remember those from 2010.  Not been running freebsd 8 in a long time.

The best workaround I found back then was indeed to remove CDROM (and for that matter also did the floppy;-) as much as possible from VMware.  I cannot remember if that was good enough to get entirely rid of it anymore ( I think some devices maybe floppy still showed up ) but I have never seen this after going to 9 and 10 certainly.

—
Bjoern A. Zeeb             "Come on. Learn, goddamn it.", WarGames, 1983