Dell PowerEdge R920 w/ Perc H730P

Mark Johnston markj at freebsd.org
Thu Sep 4 21:14:02 UTC 2014

On Thu, Sep 04, 2014 at 08:31:32PM +0000, RANDOLPH, DONALD L wrote:
> I modified my approach a little bit.
> When trying it on the mini image I first did a load mrsas and it told me it couldn't be found.  So I then did a ls boot/kernel.  Confirmed the mrsas.ko file was in fact in the directory.
>
> I did a load /boot/kernel/mrsas.ko and it told me it couldn't load a module before the kernel... so I took the thumbdrive and created a /boot/loader.conf with mrsas_load="YES" and hw.mfi.mrsas_enable=1 in it.  Now the system is up and running.
>
> I went back and checked the FreeBSD-10.1-PRERELEASE-amd64-20140902-r270981-memstick.img image with same install approach... creating a /boot/loader.conf and started the install.
>
> Both installs found the raid as da0 and installed perfectly.  Now I have a working installation of FreeBSD.
>
> So when I did a set hw.mfi.mrsas_enable=1 on the first attempt on the 10.1-PRERELEASE why didn't the mrsas driver load at boot and detect the raid as da0?

It turned out that the hw.mfi.mrsas_enable tunable hadn't been merged to
stable/10, so setting it had no effect. I fixed that in r270732, so the
r270981 image that you downloaded has it.

I've just added mrsas(4) to the kernel. In a few days that change will
be merged to stable/10, at which point you won't need to manually load
mrsas.ko anymore - setting the tunable will be sufficient.

Thanks,
-Mark