pkg question - Difference pkg vs port

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 22:38:05 UTC 2014

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 5:52 PM, Michael Ross <gmx at ross.cx> wrote:

> This is the exact same output I get when I install with ``pkg install
> py27-MySQLdb'',
> yet the pkg version does not accept mysql56, but insists on mysql55,
> the fact that both use libmysqlclient.so.18 notwithstanding.
>
> How do I handle this?, i. e. how do I, can I, manually change the
> dependency
>         mysql55-client-5.5.39
>         mysql56-client-5.6.20
> ?
>
> I have to use mysql56, does this mean I have to install the python module
> via the port?

A package can (currently?) only be built against a single version of a
dependency; if it was built against mysql55-client, it can't be also built
for mysql56-client. You'll need to use the port, which can be built against
anything that provides the necessary build time dependency.

(It might be possible to force the package to install, but this is asking
for trouble in the future.)