best overall upgrade from 8.x?
rodrigc at FreeBSD.org
Wed Nov 19 17:07:17 UTC 2014
On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 7:44 AM, Royce Williams <royce at tycho.org> wrote:
> # portmaster -a
> ... which fetched as dependencies:
Wow thank you for posting a step-by-step description of your
upgrade experience! It is definitely helpful to other people.
In your steps, you rebuilt all your ports with portmaster.
It's good to confirm that works.
Have you ever tried an upgrade scenario of:
(1) Start with 8.4 system and about 200-300 old-style pkg_add packages
(2) Do freebsd update to 10.1, reboot into 10.1 with the old packages
(3) Run /usr/sbin/pkg to bootstrap the pkg utility
(4) Run the pkg2ng utility to convert old-style package metadata to
(5) Run "pkg upgrade" to upgrade all your ports
Does that sound like a viable upgrade path to you?
I haven't tried it, but in theory it should work.
Are those steps obvious from the existing sources of documentation
that you did to do such an upgrade?
More information about the freebsd-stable