best overall upgrade from 8.x?

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 06:13:12 UTC 2014

This is a bit nit-picky, but... (in-line)

NOTE personal experience indicates that regression issues introduced
> by pkg(8), makes >=8.3-* the minimum starting point. YMMV
>
> I have used the following for ~10yrs. w/o issue (comments added for
> *hopeful* clarity).
>
> The IMMEDIATELY following, is only relevant RE-building world/kernel:
> cd /usr/obj
> chflags -R noschg *
> rm -rf *
>

> cd /usr/src
> make buildworld
>
> NOTES:
> SINGLE CPU: make -j4 buildworld
>
> NOTE:
> MULTI CPU: make -j(6 through ??) buildworld
>
> # pre version 9
> make kernel-toolchain
>
> make -DALWAYS_CHECK_MAKE buildkernel KERNCONF=<your_kernel_name_here>

I would add -jN to this using the same value for 'N' as used for buildworld

make -DALWAYS_CHECK_MAKE installkernel KERNCONF=<your_kernel_name_here>

> reboot (in single user mode)
>
> fsck -p (optional, but a good idea)
> mount -u /

Redundant before the fact as the next command (mount -a -t ufs) does this,
too

mount -a -t ufs
> swapon -a (most cases; optional)
>
> adjkerntz -i (not always necessary, but DO check current time/date, just in
> case)

In more fetail, if the hardware clock is UTC, this is not required. If
/etc/wall_cmos_clock exists, this is needed, but you really should do it
BEFORE mounting disks. UPDATING shows it right after the fsck. It avoids
any possibility of something being time-stamped in the future.

> mergemaster -p

This is way, way to late. On at least one case, this would have lead to a
very awkward failure of installworld. The man page is explicit that it
should be run before buildworld. This is the only thing in this that is
really, really wrong and can lead to a recoverable, but very annoying
failure.

> cp -Rp /etc /etc.old

Not really needed, but good for the "belt and braces" type.

> cd /usr/src
>
> make installworld
>
> mergemaster -F
> or mergemaster -vF (my personal choice)
> or mergemaster -cvF
>
> make delete-old

This can be a bit painful as you are prompted for every file. I suggest
"make check-old" and then "rm -rf" any directories listed as ready for
deletion. direcctories are listed near the end, just before libs.

--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com