best overall upgrade from 8.x?

Adrian Wontroba aw1 at stade.co.uk
Tue Nov 18 05:15:37 UTC 2014

On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 09:17:49AM -0700, Ian Lepore wrote:
> On Sat, 2014-11-15 at 09:26 -0600, Adam Vande More wrote:

> > > up,

> > > I almost certainly know the cause: you are supposed to reboot into
> > > single user mode after installkernel.
> >

> > This is almost certainly not the cause.  Something else in the horked up
> > given procedure or some omission of facts is the likely cause. Fortunately,
> > nice people have already created documentation on how to do this:
> >
> > https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/makeworld.html
> >

> No.  It is absolutely the cause.  It's clear from the original poster's
> report of errors in rc scripts after booting on the new kernel.  If the
> instructions were followed you'd end up in single-user mode and the old
> rc scripts would never have been run before the installworld put the new
> ones in.

Thanks Ian. Now that at $JOB we are no longer using NFS, and all
machines have /usr/src and /usr/obj populated (transferred from the
build machine), rebooting into single user mode after installing the new
kernel becomes much easier. I'll try this on further test 9.2-STABLE to
10.1-STABLE rollouts.

--
Adrian Wontroba