Potential security issues with new top level domains?

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Mon Nov 17 03:18:39 UTC 2014

On Nov 16, 2014, at 6:38 PM, Jamie Landeg-Jones <jamie at dyslexicfish.net> wrote:
> Yes, the 'A' returned is invalid in this case, but what's to say this
> will be the case with all future new TLDs?

It will be the case for the first 90 days for all new TLDs that have three or more letters in their names; it will probably not be true for new TLDs with two letters in their name.

> I realise the spec is being followed correctly,

Yes.

The spec is being followed correctly, and there are many other TLDs that do this: see <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7085>.

> Should the FreeBSD resolver ignore / not make such requests?
>
> Should instead the functionality be built into unbound/named etc.?
>
> Should instead TLD owners be banned from adding such records? (this still
> could be abused though)

No, no, and no. As you say above, the spec is being followed. You can mitigate your misuse of the DNS: <https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/name-collision-mitigation-01aug14-en.pdf>.

--Paul Hoffman
(a long-time FreeBSDer who co-wrote the above RFC, and also wrote the ICANN report)