build world failing

Dimitry Andric dim at FreeBSD.org
Sat Nov 15 15:38:15 UTC 2014

On 15 Nov 2014, at 16:14, Andrew Stevenson <andrew at ugh.net.au> wrote:

> I am having trouble building world. Currently running 10.1-PRERELEASE r270922. I have update source a few times in case it was a temporary breakage but am now trying to build r274327.
>
> It always stops in the same place:
> clang++: error: unable to execute command: Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> clang++: error: clang frontend command failed due to signal (use -v to see invocation)
> FreeBSD clang version 3.4.1 (tags/RELEASE_34/dot1-final 208032) 20140512
> Target: x86_64-unknown-freebsd10.1
> Thread model: posix
> clang++: note: diagnostic msg: PLEASE submit a bug report to https://bugs.freebsd.org/submit/ and include the crash backtrace, preprocessed source, and
> associated run script.
> clang++: note: diagnostic msg: Error generating preprocessed source(s).
> The machine only has 1GB of RAM (but plenty of swap space) and in Intel Atom 230 (1.6GHz) CPU. I don’t know if the root cause s a clang bug, as it suggests, or something else wrong.

Can you check dmesg and/or syslog for any messages regarding clang being
out of memory?  If it always crashes in the same place, then it could
indeed be a clang bug (but it's unlikely, since you seem to be the only
one having this problem), but it could also be some RAM problem that
only manifests when you are actively using a lot of memory.  I would do
a few memcheck passes on the machine, just to be sure.

Since clang does not seem to be able to generate the preprocessed
sources, this will be tricky or impossible to reproduce.  Maybe you can
try getting a backtrace from the core dump?  But this will require debug
symbols, unfortunately.

-Dimitry