best overall upgrade from 8.x?

Andrew Berg aberg010 at my.hennepintech.edu
Sat Nov 15 14:55:39 UTC 2014

On 2014.11.15 06:53, Adrian Wontroba wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 12:44:33PM +0100, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
>> On 11/15/14 05:48, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>> > I'd wait a month or so and, if no problems that might impact you pop up,
>> > I'd go with 10.1
>> Uh... is direct upgrade (using sources) possible from 8.4 to 10.1?
>> No need to step through 9.x?
>
> Even the move from 9.2 (a near year old 9/stable) to 10.1 (stable/10 as
> of about 3 weeks ago) is slightly problematic.
>
> Following the normal upgrade procedure of installkernel and then
> rebooting with the userland untouched runs into a problem whereby
> rc.conf falls apart with a shower of eval errors, no networking, ...
>
> I do not know the cause.
>
> Fortunately the quick and dirty upgrade approach works for this case.
> I did not expect it to (8-)
>
> cd /usr/src
> mergemaster -p
> make installkernel
> make installworld
> mergemaster
> shutdown -r now

Are you sure you followed the updating instructions exactly? That page of the
handbook does change from time to time and doing mergemaster before installing
world and kernel is certainly *not* correct. I highly recommend not memorizing
the instructions, and to follow a current version of the handbook whenever
updating.

AFAICT, updating from source should *always* work perfectly (as long as the
system is working enough to actually compile and install the new files).