SuperMicro IPMI/SOL and ipmitool troubles

Dmitry Morozovsky marck at rinet.ru
Fri Nov 14 18:31:25 UTC 2014

Daniel,

nice to see you here too ;)

On Fri, 14 Nov 2014, Daniel O'Connor wrote:

> On 12 Nov 2014, at 19:43, Andreas Nilsson <andrnils at gmail.com> wrote:
> > unclear is the word for it :) And thanks for looking into this. ipmi/ilo is
> > important on a server os.
> >
> > I found a reference to it in a ML post:
> > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2013-February/072464.html
>
> I started that thread :)
> I did get it working on the hardware I was using (Supermicro X9SCL-F and X8SIL-F)
>
> I used the following BIOS settings
> 	? Remote Access - Enabled
> 	? Serial Port Number - COM3
> 	? Serial Port Mode - 115200, 8, n, 1
> 	? Flow Control - Hardware
> 	? Redirection After BIOS POST - Always
> 	? Terminal Type - VT100
> 	? VT-UTF8 Combo Key Support - Disabled
> 	? Sredir Memory Display Delay - No Delay
>
> And the following in loader.conf
> # Give preference to VGA console
> console="vidconsole,comconsole"
> # Uncomment below and comment above to give serial console preference
> #console="comconsole,vidconsole"
> comconsole_speed="115200"
> boot_multicons="YES"
> hint.uart.0.flags="0x0"
> hint.uart.2.at="isa"
> hint.uart.2.port="0x3E8"
> hint.uart.2.flags="0x30"
>
> And this in /etc/ttys
> # IPMI console
> # Note: The Java console viewer doesn't seem to be very smart as it doesn't
> # properly support VT100
> cuau2   "/usr/libexec/getty 3wire.115200"       vt100   on secure
>
> I could then access it using ipmitool like so
> ipmitool -H remoteip -U ADMIN -I lanplus sol activate
> [login]
> export TERM=xterm
>
> Note that I wanted vidconsole by default because mostly the systems were used by people local to them, however we could break into the loader and type 'set console=comconsole,vidconsole? and then get everything over the serial console for remote trouble shooting.
>
> You may also wish to check the IPMI configuration via the web interface - by default it will failover to port 0 and it has terrible default passwords. I changed the passwords and forced it to use the dedicated IPMI port even if nothing was connected to it.

Well, I'm almost done with most of our SM server, even concentrated console on
our console server with such a simple config:

---- 8< ----
# ipmi/sol console template
default ipmi {
        master  localhost;
        type    exec;
        exec    /usr/local/bin/ipmitool -f /usr/local/etc/ipmi-pass -U root -I lanplus -H %.int sol activate;
        execsubst       %=cs;
        #idletimeout    6h;

        break 0 { string "~B"; }
}

console gwn1    { include ipmi; }
console gwn2    { include ipmi; }
console gwn3    { include ipmi; }
console gwn4    { include ipmi; }
console gwn5    { include ipmi; }
console gwn6    { include ipmi; }
console gwn7    { include ipmi; }
console gwn8    { include ipmi; }

console gwc2    { include ipmi; }

This has console logging (including possible panics) as a surplus

--
Sincerely,
[ FreeBSD committer:                                 marck at FreeBSD.org ]