System hang on shutdown when running freebsd-update

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 18:51:21 UTC 2014

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 10:23 AM, Kevin Oberman <rkoberman at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 2:58 AM, Colin Perkins <csp at csperkins.org> wrote:
>
>> On 16 Oct 2014, at 16:29, Bjoern A. Zeeb <bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net>
>> wrote:
>> > On 15 Oct 2014, at 17:23 , Kevin Oberman <rkoberman at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I have seen similar hangs on a ZFS-only system (even without
>> freebsd-update I think).   I have often not been patient enough to wait for
>> the reboot to happen but I do remember that one time I walked away and came
>> back and the system was still stuck, got distracted and by the time I got
>> back again, it had rebooted.
>> >
>> > I wonder if anyone actually had been patient enough to wait an hour or
>> two, just to see if the system moves forward all by itself?
>>
>> I gave up waiting after about an hour with my system that showed the
>> problem.
>>

> My server is production, so waiting is not an option, nor is using it for
> testing.
> --
> R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
> E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com

I have now run several freebsd-update operations and have always done
"shutdown now" to drop into single user, then waited about 30 seconds,
issued a "sync", and then "reboot". In all cases including an upgrade from
10.0-RELEASE to 10.1-RC4 with no hangs.

Really looking like something needs to flush before things are REALLY
shutdown and does not have time before something is killed. Going to single
user seems to allow it to finish up and all is well.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com