FreeBSD 10.1-RC4 Now Available

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 07:21:05 UTC 2014

On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 12:32 AM, Glen Barber <gjb at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 02, 2014 at 04:37:26PM -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 2, 2014 at 11:43 AM, Glen Barber <gjb at freebsd.org> wrote:
> > I hit a problem right out at the start:
> >    # freebsd-update upgrade -r 10.1-RC4
> >    Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 5 mirrors found.
> >    Fetching metadata signature for 10.0-RC3 from update2.freebsd.org...
> > done.
> >    Fetching metadata index... done.
> >    Fetching 1 metadata patches. done.
> >    Applying metadata patches... done.
> >    Fetching 1 metadata files... done.
> >    Inspecting system... done.
> >
> >    The following components of FreeBSD seem to be installed:
> >    kernel/generic src/src world/base world/doc world/games
> >
> >    The following components of FreeBSD do not seem to be installed:
> >    world/lib32
> >
> >    Does this look reasonable (y/n)? n
> >
> > But I do have lib32 installed and have had since the initial
> > installation.No prior upgrade failed. I have no time to look at how
> > freebsd-update tests for components, but something went haywire.
>
> I am unable to reproduce this, and prior to sending the 10.1-RC4
> announcement email, did test the upgrade path from 10.1-RC2 and
> 10.1-RC3.  I've just double-checked on a clean install of 10.1-RC3, and
> only see (as expected on this install) src/src component not installed
> locally.
>
> Glen

Ahh. I found a rather nasty oops. It is NOT a problem with RC4. It was a
typo when I intended to go to RC3. Seems I went to 10.0-RC3-p1. I may take
me a while to clean up the mess! Any explanation of how this could have
caused me to lose /usr/lib32 contents would be appreciated

Sorry for the noise.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com