problems with chown as root on nfs4 export

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Fri May 2 13:36:34 UTC 2014

Craig Yoshioka wrote:

> On May 1, 2014, at 5:48 PM, Rick Macklem <rmacklem at uoguelph.ca>
> wrote:
>
> > Craig Yoshioka wrote:
> >> I’ve posted this same email to the linux NFS mailing list since I
> >> think it might be client-side problem, but thought I might look
> >> for
> >> input here as well.
> >>
> >> problem: when using chown as root on a nfs4 filesystem on newer
> >> linux
> >> releases file owners get sets to nobody.
> >>        the user type doesn’t seem to matter (/etc/passwd, LDAP,
> >>        Samba4)
> >>
> >> setup: Server is FreeBSD 10 system with NFSv4 share.
> >>      Server and clients are all configured with the same idmap
> >>      domain
> >>      Network users have consistent uid/gid on server and clients
> >>      clients with older linux releases work OK (Ubuntu 12.04,
> >>      CentOS
> >>      5 and 6)
> >>      clients with newer linux releases do not work ( Fedora 20,
> >>      Ubuntu 14.04, Mint 16 )
> >>
> >> clues:
> >>
> >> 1. working and non-working systems get to the same fchownat()
> >> system
> >> call with the same arguments (via strace).
> >>
> >> example (identical on working and non-working client):
> >> fchownat(AT_FDCWD, "/mnt/test", 11111, 4294967295, 0) = 0
> >> close(1)                                = 0
> >> close(2)                                = 0
> >> close(4)                                = 0
> >> exit_group(0)                           = ?
> >> +++ exited with 0 +++
> >>
> >> 2. working system sends NFSV4 SETATTR request with owner set to:
> >> matlab at nimgs.com and non-working as 11111 (via wireshark)
> >>
> > Yuck. RFC-3530 strongly encouraged use of <user>@<domain> names
> > to identify users. rfc-3530bis (not yet an RFC afaik) "clarified"
> > this to allow a server to return the number as a string (something
> > done early in NFSv4 development for testing).
> >
> > This happened because Linux wanted to put the uid in a string so
> > that NFSv4 mounted root file systems could be done more easily.
> > (My understanding was that the client is now expected to understand
> > a uid in a string, but I didn't think the server was required to
> > accept it for a setattr.)
> >

> From what I was told, trying a uid string is only a fallback scenario
> for the client.  Instead, it turns out root (uid 0) was improperly
> triggering a conditional that mapped it to nobody on maproot
> exports.  I just tried a fixed version and it works now.

Well, the fallback is what I understand rfc-3530bis recommends for
all clients. The current FreeBSD client does that fallback.

However, there is also this snippet from rfc-3530bis:
 A client can determine if a server
   supports numeric identifiers by first attempting to provide a numeric
   identifier.  If this attempt rejected with an NFS4ERR_BADOWNER error,
   then the client should only use named identifiers of the form
   "user at dns_domain".
I'm guessing that NFS4ERR_BADOWNER would have been returned by the
FreeBSD server for the numeric string case, but the Linux client didn't
do this. (It is a "should", so it is not a required to be done. Same
goes for the server allowing numeric strings.)

Actually, I've attached a slightly updated patch that makes sure the
server returns NFS4ERR_BADOWNER if the numeric string isn't supported.
(If you haven't yet started testing the other patch, maybe you can test
 this one instead.)

Thanks for your help with this, rick