sshd with zombie process on FreeBSD 10.0-STABLE - workaround

Nimrod Levy n1mr0d at nimrod.is-a-geek.net
Wed Mar 19 16:56:34 UTC 2014

I recently ran into a very similar sounding issue on a juniper router
(JunOS is based on FreeBSD) that ended up being a timing issue when the
devices were sending ACKs.  Basically, the client tries to close the
session with a FIN, but the server (or in my case, a router) was delaying
sending ACKs and disregarded the FIN.  When the client subsequently
received an SSH packet, an RST was sent out from the client and the
connection was closed.  The socket on the server remained open and we saw a
similar stuck process.

One workaround was to set
sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0