Problem with italian keyboard

Stefan Esser se at freebsd.org
Mon Jul 28 12:17:22 UTC 2014

Am 28.07.2014 um 13:20 schrieb Tom Evans:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 11:17 AM, Filippo Moretti via freebsd-stable
>> Configuring syscons: keymapkbdcontrol: keymap file "it.iso.kbd" not found: No such file or directory
>> however there is it.iso.kbd in /usr/share/syscons/keymaps
>
> You need to convert this and put it in /usr/share/vt/keymaps since you
> are no longer using syscons.

For LATIN encodings (e.g. ISO8859-1) no conversion is required
(the result of the conversion is identical to the file for
syscons).

You can copy over the file from /usr/share/syscons/keymaps/ to
/usr/share/vt/keymaps/, or you can put the full path to the
keymap file into rc.conf (or use it on the command line).

I think we should have a working solution in the upcoming
FreeBSD-10.1.

Since the keymaps for LATIN encodings are compatible between
syscons and newcons, they could be  installed into both places,
syscons/keymaps and vt/keymaps.

Alternatively, kbdcontrol could use the syscons/keymaps
directory as a fallback for keymaps not found in vt/keymaps.
This work-around is currently active in -CURRENT, since there
are only 3 converted keymap files in vt/keymaps and everybody
trying out newcons has the same problem.

Regards, STefan