Gmirror + gpart corruption on 9.3-PRE

Dmitry Morozovsky marck at rinet.ru
Sun Jul 27 20:25:43 UTC 2014

On Fri, 25 Jul 2014, Dave Hayes wrote:

> > > At 9.3-PRERELEASE #0 r268066M I've been trying unsucessfuly to set up
> > > a brand shiny new gmirror + gpt style Raid 0 mirror using the
> > > following procedure on a disk
> > >
> > > gpart create -s gpt ada0
> > > ( shows 931G of space)
> > > gpart add -s 96G -t freebsd-swap -l swap0 ada0
> > > gpart add -t freebsd-ufs -l rw0 ada0
> > > gpart create -s gpt ada1
> > > gpart add -s 96G -t freebsd-swap -l swap1 ada1
> > > gpart add -t freebsd-ufs -l rw1 ada1
> > > gmirror label swap /dev/ada0p1 /dev/ada1p1
> > > gmirror label rw   /dev/ada0p2 /dev/ada1p2
>
> I need to be clearer. Above is the point at which the corrupt table message is
> encountered. I believe the above is the equivalent of your method, and hence
> your method may not work on 9.3-PRE and above. If you happen to be able to
> test this, I'd be curious as to the results.
>
> I'm going to try gmirroring the entire disk and and using BSD labels for
> separate partitions. I think this will have the effect I want, and it's worth
> a test.

... or, possibly better, you could mark both your disks with gpart partitioning
(maybe using -a1m to both align partitions and make them let some free gap at
the end of disks), and then just gmirror partitions, as you did before.

Or, did I miss something?

--
Sincerely,
[ FreeBSD committer:                                 marck at FreeBSD.org ]