Problems loading RV620 firmware

Jean-Sébastien Pédron jean-sebastien.pedron at dumbbell.fr
Fri Jul 18 13:05:26 UTC 2014

On 18.07.2014 12:24, Pete French wrote:
> If I boot the machine and try and kiad radeomkms.ko by hand then it just
> locks up the machine. No useful info on the consolue.

How do you tell that the machine is locked up? Are you unable to reach
it using ssh?

Could you please try with syscons, instead of VT?

> If I try loadiing radeonkms and boot time, it then displays a lot
> more information when it boots about loading up drm, and then afils
> saying is callot load the firmware for the card. Specificly
> it cant load radeonkmsfw_RV620_pfp

This is expected, because the filesystem isn't available at this point
in the boot.

You have to load whatever firmware(s) are required by radeonkms.ko in
your loader.conf. See the wiki:
https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics#Video_driver_loaded_at_boot_time

In your case, you would have to add the following lines to
/boot/loader.conf:

radeonkms_load="YES"
radeonkmsfw_RV620_pfp_load="YES"
radeonkmsfw_RV620_me_load="YES"