Should 9.3 carry a warning about NEW_XORG

John Marshall john.marshall at riverwillow.com.au
Mon Jul 7 09:45:54 UTC 2014

On Sun, 06 Jul 2014, 23:47 +1000, Ian Smith wrote:
> John has a T43 thinkpad, with unstated graphics hardware; intel 915 or
> Radeon X300 according to thinkwiki?

For the record, Intel 915GM.  I included full details a few days ago in
my as-yet-unanswered post to -x11 at .  Troubleshooting my X failure wasn't
the purpose of my post to -stable@; but it's sounding like the answer is
probably "pre-2009 hardware unsupported by the 9.3 default NEW_XORG".

> It seems that if you upgrade from 9.1 or 9.2 you will need to manually
> intervene, either way

In my case (short story for a user with older hardware):
 - leaving make.conf as is lands me in X trouble
 - adding WITHOUT_NEW_XORG to make.conf keeps things working as for 9.2

> Seeing that a perhaps not miniscule proportion of 9.x X users will need
> to do some manual configuration on upgrading to 9.3, a relevant WARNING
> in http://www.freebsd.org/releases/9.3R/relnotes.html should be helpful.

Definitely.

Highlighting the fact that the 9.3 introduces a default NEW_XORG ports
build, pointing out implications for folks with "older" hardware and
the availability of the WITHOUT_NEW_XORG knob would, I think, be
helpful.  The ports infrastructure controls the logic for the NEW_XORG
build decision but I think the fact that the result of that decision for
9.3-RELEASE is OPPOSITE to what it is for 9.2-RELEASE, and that building
(now-default) NEW_XORG for folks with older hardware WILL break X for
them, warrants a note in the 9.3 release documentation.

--
John Marshall