Should 9.3 carry a warning about NEW_XORG

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Sat Jul 5 18:46:45 UTC 2014

The TL;DR reason for going up to building with new-xorg is because
without it, an increasing number of X related ports plainly won't
build anymore. They assume the newer X and DRI libraries.

So the choice is (a) new_xorg and pain, (b) no new_xorg and a lot of X
packages not getting upgraded any further, (c) more work on the ports
maintainers to try and figure out ways to work around an increasingly
impossible situation. There's also (d) - don't bother with 9.3.

The X ports team has a fast moving target to keep track of and we're
still not anywhere near the bleeding edge of Linux graphics rendering
support and all the graphics stuff that moves with it. As much as I
hate to see lots of churn, it's a losing battle.

-a