What is difference between loading module with loader and loading module wtih kldload?

Chris H bsd-lists at bsdforge.com
Tue Feb 25 23:21:09 UTC 2014

> Hello, Hackers.
>
>   I've upgraded my fileserver to 10-STABLE and got very strange (but
>  very-very painful) problem, which I could not reproduce on virtual machine
>  (VirtualBox).
>
>  I'm using geom_raid5 module (and I'm its maintainer, yes) and module, built
> for 10-STABLE (after world & kernel build & install & reboot), and loaded
> via /boot/loader.conf is reason to almost instant crash after boot.
> Sometimes system mounts filesystems before crash and sometimes not. Most of
> time it is "page write: page not present", in different places. PS/2
> keyboard is always blocked after that, I could not drop to debugger. No
> memory dump performed. Several times it turend off video output (!) right
> after crash.
>
>  But if I boot without this module, drop to single-user mode, load module
> with kldload and continue booting with "exit" everything work smoothly for
> hours!
>
>  I understand, that it it some incompatibility between module new kernel,
> but I could not reproduce it on VirtualBox instance, and I'm puzzled, that
> this crash does not occur if module loaded by kldload! Maybe, here is some
> hint in this?

Warning, I'm no expert on 10.x. I see too many issues by ppl on the lists. So it
seems too shakey for me. But, I have a couple of ideas, hoping they might help.
I had a similar problem when using a very large drive, or mirror set (geom), a
few years ago. FreeBSD didn't see/allocate all the memory available on the
system. So it barfed, because it didn't have enough to allocate to handle the
drive size. I'm sorry, but I have forgotten how to TELL FreeBSD how much
memory it can use during boot tho. But if you know, then this might help you
too.

Hope this helps.

--Chris