FreeBSD FFS SU+J is not stable

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Wed Feb 19 18:58:41 UTC 2014

On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 11:53:13 am Warren Block wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Feb 2014, David Demelier wrote:
>
> > Running 10.0-RELEASE, it is the second time I have a power failure and
> > bad shutdown. It's also the second time I get a fsck failure. This
> > time fsck has even segfault'ed.
> >
> > I think I will switch to ZFS.
> >
> > This is the log of the next boot up : http://imgur.com/rRpREKP
> >
> > Is it possible to automatically run fsck manually after this kind of failures?
>
> Yes, but I would suggest turning off SUJ instead.  Soft updates alone
> have been reliable for me.  SUJ, not really.

I still have SUJ enabled on my laptop, but I routinely get segfaults in
fsck when rebooting after a panic.  Also, I now always run a full fsck
after the journal fsck (which does sort of defeat the point of SUJ) and
it generally finds missing blocks that are free but marked in use.

I've reported details about the fsck segfaults in the past to no avail. :(

--
John Baldwin