Recommend FreeBSD VPS

Lucius Rizzo Lucius.Rizzo at Lucius.XxX
Wed Feb 19 04:26:04 UTC 2014

* Darren Pilgrim <list_freebsd at bluerosetech.com> [2014-02-18 14:57]:
> On 2/18/2014 11:48 AM, Eric van Gyzen wrote:
> >On 02/15/2014 08:23, 朱江 wrote:
> >>I'm looking for a cheap FreeBSD VPS, can you guys provide me some good
> >>service provider? BTW, I currently in China and I hope the VPS should have
> >>low latency.
> >
> >I have had very good experience with RootBSD (http://www.rootbsd.net/).
> >They are based in the United States but have a datacenter in Germany.
>
> Second on RootBSD.  They also have datacenters in Dallas, TX and Raleigh,
> NC, and are IPv6-enabled.

I checked their offerings - $19.97/month vs $5 i pay at BlueVM is really
a considerable difference. The only thing I am really looking forward is
native IPv6 in Zurich with BlueVM. I have very good experience with US
servers, but more and more I am deploying outside US. In fact, this
seems to be a new trend in offerings recently and there does seems to be
demand in servers to be based outside US.

Nevertheless, I am quite happy with having instances in both US/East and
West with others. I am sure Linode (IPv6 enabled) should get a mention
too -- one can run BSD there. Naturally, one can run a relatively good
instance (not t1.micro) in AWS with FreeBSD. You can start with a
provisioned disk and then growfs it -- something not possible with
NetBSD/OpenBSD. (Workaround: Create a new rootfs and attach and cpio
it).

--