MPCP Opcode Pause and unresponsive computer

David Naylor dbn at freebsd.org
Sun Feb 16 19:06:59 UTC 2014

On Thursday, 13 February 2014 22:01:56 David Naylor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently installed FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE on an headless Intense-PC.  I am
> experiencing two network related issues with the computer.
>
> First issue
> -----------
> When compiling lang/ruby19 the network freezes.  The build was done directly
> from the command line using ssh.  After a while ssh reports "Write failed:
> Broken pipe".  I attached the monitor and no messages were displayed on the
> output (and the machine was still running).
>
> The Intense-PC does not respond to pings at this point either.  Of note, I
> was capable of transferring multiple GB of data and successfully compiled
> other ports but compiling lang/ruby19 messes up everything.

This issue appears to be hardware related as it triggers when running
memtest86+ from loader(8) and once in a BIOS setup menu (this was accompanied
by visual distortions).  Although the exact hardware issue has not been
isolated (limited power supply is suspected), it is not known if this could
have caused the second issue (but I think they are related).

Regards