Is "nc" broken in 10.0?

Glen Barber gjb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Feb 11 00:28:56 UTC 2014

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 07:16:11PM -0500, Dave Mischler wrote:
> the 'nc' program doesn't seem to close the network connection anymore
> when it reaches EOF.  This worked fine in 9.x.  Can somebody else
> confirm this broken behavior?
>
> Example:
>
> On one session, listen for an incoming connection:
>
> % nc -l 5101
>
> On another session, open an outgoing connection, then close the input:
>
> % nc 127.0.0.1 5101
> ^D
>
> The session will not close.  It doesn't seem to matter if the input is a
> terminal, file, pipe, or whatever else you can think of.

I think you want the '-N' flag.

r249499 | delphij | 2013-04-15 01:31:59 -0400 (Mon, 15 Apr 2013) | 8 lines

MFV r249496,249498.  The most visible change is that we no longer shuts
down the connection when stdin closes, by default.  This matches
Hobbit's
original netcat and GNU netcat.

Old behavior can be restored with the new -N flag.

Glen