Followup On Recent MCA Madness. WAS: Need Help With MCA Code

Tim Daneliuk tundra at tundraware.com
Mon Feb 10 23:53:48 UTC 2014

On 02/10/2014 03:18 PM, John Baldwin wrote:
>> On Saturday, February 01, 2014 3:44:07 pm Tim Daneliuk wrote:
<SNIP>

>> Now, if I could just figure out how to get stock X to
>> run at 1920x1080 on HD4600 graphics.  Apparently neither the
>> intel of vesa drivers know how to do this, or at least I've
>> had no luck with it.  The intel driver doesn't even recognize
>> the hardware as something it supports.
>>
>> "X on a server?" you say?  Yes, for intermittent use of fluxbox
>> to run a bunch of xterms.
>
> For the Intel graphics you want to use i915kms.  However, you need to build
> your ports with 'WITH_NEW_XORG=yes' set in /etc/make.conf.  There are more
> details about this on the wiki.
>
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics

I've been considering this, but I have a few more questions, if I may:

- There was a time when the new Xorg stuff did not play well with VTYs.
   Is this still the case or has it been resolved?

- If I were to set this option in make.conf, is it sufficient to simply
   force a recompilation of every port on the machine via portupgrade,
   or is there a better way?

TIA,
Tim Daneliuk     tundra at tundraware.com