FreeBSD 10 on VMWare in a corporate network; How?

Alban Hertroys haramrae at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 13:24:27 UTC 2014

> On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 7:17 AM, Alban Hertroys <haramrae at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> For an experiment @work I figured I'd install FreeBSD 10 x64 in a
>> VMWare virtual machine that was made available to me, but I'm kind of
>> stuck installing ports or packages...
>>
>> The thing is, the vmware tools provided with this version of VMWare
>> (VMware® Workstation 10.0.1 build-1379776) are packaged with a Perl
>> script and there it looks like there is no Perl in FreeBSD 10.
>>
>> We're behind an NT/LM authenticated proxy, which I haven't managed to
>> get past yet from the FreeBSD installation in the VM, so downloading
>> distfiles (Perl, for example) isn't currently possible.
>>
>> I created a shared folder in VMWare to store distfiles on, but
>> apparently I need VMWare tools installed to access such a folder,
>> which brings me back to the Perl problem.
>>
>> It appears that I need samba & squid to have NT/LM authentication to
>> get through the proxy so that I can download ports & packages, but to
>> obtain packages for those I need to be able to get through the proxy
>> first.
>>
>> How do I solve this conundrum?
>

> You may consider obtaining the DVD ISO to upload to your ESX store;  Attach
> it to the VM's cdrom device and boot to it which starts the installation.
> Everything you need to build the OS is on the DVD.

I just got that far by myself, but thanks for the suggestion anyway.
I'm afraid that not _everything_ I need is on the DVD though.

The DVD does include pkg (from which one can extract pkg-static to
install it) and perl, but not the open-vm-tools package or the
compat6-amd64 that the VMWare supplied vmware-tools claims to require.
It also lacks a vmware frame-buffer for Xorg, but perhaps that is
provided by the (missing) vmware-tools package?

There is a samba package that probably contains the necessary
libraries to use NTLM authentication, but no Squid to combine those
into a local NTLM-enabled proxy to get past the company proxy.

This is my first time dabbling in proxy-waters and weird Windows
authentication schemes, so I'm a little reliant on tutorials I found
on the internet and the few around all use squid and samba... If there
are other (probably better) ways, I'd love to hear them. Perhaps I
don't need Squid?

Cheers,
Alban.