FreeBSD 10 on VMWare in a corporate network; How?

Alban Hertroys haramrae at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 12:17:31 UTC 2014

Hi all,

For an experiment @work I figured I'd install FreeBSD 10 x64 in a
VMWare virtual machine that was made available to me, but I'm kind of
stuck installing ports or packages...

The thing is, the vmware tools provided with this version of VMWare
(VMware® Workstation 10.0.1 build-1379776) are packaged with a Perl
script and there it looks like there is no Perl in FreeBSD 10.

We're behind an NT/LM authenticated proxy, which I haven't managed to
get past yet from the FreeBSD installation in the VM, so downloading
distfiles (Perl, for example) isn't currently possible.

I created a shared folder in VMWare to store distfiles on, but
apparently I need VMWare tools installed to access such a folder,
which brings me back to the Perl problem.

It appears that I need samba & squid to have NT/LM authentication to
get through the proxy so that I can download ports & packages, but to
obtain packages for those I need to be able to get through the proxy
first.

How do I solve this conundrum?

If only I had a writable CD or an USB stick here, I could use that to
transfer the files between the systems, but unfortunately I don't have
any at hand (after the weekend perhaps, if I remember to bring them).