No subject

Zenny garbytrash at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 09:57:51 UTC 2014

Hi:

Last time, Devin had been very kind to suggest me when the system
borked while trying to upgrade from v10B3 to vRC1.

Following FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE, I installed to a new machine with
encrypted root in zfs mirror, and since there was something wrong (a
double quote by mistake) inserted in the /boot/device.hints, the
kernel refused to boot and landed to the mountroot prompt.

Therefore, in order to make changes what I did was:

1. Boot into LiveCD mode
2.     mkdir /tmp/bootpool
        zpool import -f bootpool
        zfs set mountpoint=/tmp/bootpool bootpool
        zfs mount -a
        cp /tmp/bootpool/boot/encryption.key /tmp/
        zfs umount -a
        zfs set mountpoint=/bootpool bootpool
        zpool export bootpool
        geli attach -k /tmp/encryption.key /dev/ada0p4
        geli attach -k /tmp/encryption.key /dev/ada1p4
        zpool import -R /mnt zroot
        zpool import -R /mnt/bootpool bootpool
3. Removed the double quote (") from /bootpool/boot/device.hints and
saved the file.

4. Rebooted the file and now it says that there is no boot/zfsbootloader.

Appreciate if someone provides hints to recover the system in such
situation without loosing any customized kernel and poudriere configs
and contents? Thanks.

/z