Elusive manpage [was: i386 PAE kernel works fine on 10-stable]

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Mon Dec 15 05:39:25 UTC 2014

On Sun, 14 Dec 2014 12:28:10, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:
 > In FreeBSD Handbook ,
 >
 > "
 > 2.2. Minimum Hardware Requirements
 > i386
 > pae(4) for details
 > "
 >
 > when pae(4) is clicked :
 >
 > https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=pae&sektion=4
 > https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=pae&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+10.1-RELEASE&arch=default&format=html
 >
 > response is
 >
 > "Sorry, no data found for `pae'."

Indeed.  I was going to respond that manpages relating only to (eg) i386
- such as PAE and a network adapter (ep(4)) I recently hunted - don't
show up if you've left the default setting of 'default' architecture,
which is apparently amd64, but then I checked ..

This one doesn't show up on 10.1-RELEASE, even once you've selected
i386, but it does for 10.0-RELEASE, 10.0-stable .. and 10.1-stable!
Also for 9.3-RELEASE and -stable, and earlier.

Personally I think the 'default' arch selector should specifically say
'amd64' rather than 'default', or better still 'default' should mean the
default for the manpage concerned, which in this case would be i386.

IOW if a manpage exists for any arch, it should show up, at least as a
hint that it exists on another arch than (the unspecified) 'default'.

cheers, Ian