Trying to upgrade from 9.3-Stable to 10.1-Stable

Willem Jan Withagen wjw at digiware.nl
Thu Dec 4 18:07:24 UTC 2014

On 2014-12-04 16:56, Dimitry Andric wrote:
> On 03 Dec 2014, at 22:09, Willem Jan Withagen <wjw at digiware.nl> wrote:
>>
>> On 3-12-2014 16:21, Ian Lepore wrote:
>>> This looks like it ran out of memory... check syslog or dmesg, see if
>>> you have some "process killed; out of swap space" messages.  Building
>>> clang needs a ton of memory.
>>
>> This is what dmesg says:
>> pid 251 (clang-tblgen), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
>> pid 252 (clang-tblgen), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
>> pid 253 (clang-tblgen), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
>> pid 25518 (clang-tblgen), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
>
> For some reason, the clang-tblgen binaries that were built during the
> bootstrap-tools stage segfault, while running parts of the cross-tools
> stage.  Obviously, this should not happen, but since it only seems to
> happen for you, maybe you have something special in your build
> environment?
>
> Can you please give us a bit more information about your environment,
> such as:
>
> * Architecture (i386, amd64) and exact CPU type of your machine
> * Full contents of /etc/make.conf and /etc/src.conf
> * Environment variables that might influence the build, e.g. CC, CFLAGS,
>    DEBUG_FLAGS, etc
> * The specific make command line you are using to build world, including
>    all flags and arguments

This was pilot error.

To reduce buildtime on this poor atom, I disabled building clang in
9.x... But did have a very very old version left over from one of the
first builds. (that took too long)

So I was using those old tools.
Once I disabled that in /etc/src.conf make toolchain builds soothly.

Thanx for helping me realise that.
--WjW