Panic (fatal double fault) in a fresh installed 10.1-RELEASE (i386) r274401 with ZFS and GEOM_ELI

Vinícius Zavam egypcio at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 3 21:07:39 UTC 2014

tl;dr; I can't use 10.1-R after has it installed with ZFS(only)+GEOM_ELI.
https://i.imgur.com/LzJkGoL.png

pciconf? http://pastebin.com/8Fkm1Rte
dmesg? http://pastebin.com/RtSUzsbg

The box is an old Asus eeePC 1005pe (
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/Eee_PC_1005PE_Seashell) and I
would like to use it as a FreeBSD (i386) only machine. In the past it was
running smooth with a linux-based O.S. and FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT (UFS-only).

Last week, when I got time to kill that old setup, I decided to run it as a
FreeBSD-only machine by ripping everything out with a brand new fresh
installation. Powered by the "new" bsdinstall(8), this step was never so
easy and quick to do and I finished everything following just some dummy
default options.

Installation image? FreeBSD-10.1-RELEASE-i386-memstick.img, downloaded from
ftp.br.freebsd.org and good checksum (sha256).

1. partitions? zfs-only (auto)
  1.1. discs? only one (stripe)
  1.2. encryption? yes (+swap)
2. system components? all (doc, src, ports, ..)
3. daemons? everything (moused, powerd, ntpd, ...)
4. post install steps... reboot!

All safe and sweet after first reboot and I was able to put back some
backup configurations and installing new packages (pkg, firefox, awesome,
screen, irssi, ..., xscreensaver); but it was late and after downloading
and installing everything I remembered, I decided to power off the system
(usual `halt -p`) and went to bed.

Blablabla, breakfast... time to touch the beastie again... NOT!
https://i.imgur.com/LzJkGoL.png

Tried to boot in single, safe and "WHATTHEF*" mode, but got nothing (also
with ACPI off). I was just okay with that and decided to reinstall it and
not loosing so much time... same usb stick... same image... same setup..
done! I went to a "Live Session" after installing everything again, but,
this time, the battery discharged and the AC power cable... wasn't...
errr... you know :D

Again, same panic (fatal double fault); APIC ID was sometimes 01 or 00,
depending on my way to boot. I reinstalled 10.1-R two more times, with a
different image (also sha256 checked), downloaded from ftp.freebsd.org and
ftp13.freebsd.org (yes, 13). This time I decided not to run powerd(8) and
not changing powerd_flags to "-a hiadaptive -b adaptive"; rebooted; halted;
powered on again... nice, but just a coincidence. I was using the machine
with firefox, screen and irssi and decided to halt and sleep. Later that
day I got the same panic again.

I talked to people on IRC (#bsdcode/EFnet) and someone pointed me out that,
somehow, ZFS wasn't able to finish "internal tasks" (routines) and this
could be the cause to f* everything up. gavin@ also pointed me that
powerd(8) couldn't be the "generator" of my problems. nox@ gave me the
advice to wait a little more than the usual to put out the bootable
memstick I created with dd(1) on a "linux machine" (and not to use bs=10240
or conv=sync parameters)... nothing! Same issue.

The solution (maybe)? FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT snapshot (20141113-r274463)?
NOT; downloaded the memstick, disc1 and bootonly images but they didn't
work (didn't even load the bsdinstall(8) or kernel). I also tried a shot
with UNetBootin (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net) with no success and
here I am!

My last setup with ZFS was to install everything with ZFS+GEOM_ELI again,
checkout the sources, compile and install world/kernel and upgrade
everything... got nothing. The box complained about "no buffer space" while
running the `make installworld` and, with no hope, I powered off the box by
holding the power button :D

My current setup is up and running with FreeBSD 10.1-R (i386) with UFS and
no filesystem/swap encryption; that's how I was able to write the
dmesg.boot and pciconf output to pastebin.

Finally, I ask you: does anyone has a glue or an idea how to solve it? I
really would love to run ZFS here with GELI and some fine tunning to handle
this.

Ah! I have two other machines (desktops) with 11.0-CURRENT (amd64) running
okay with it... one with ZFS (but no encryption) and another one with UFS.
Both were installed using an ISO-IMAGE of 10.1-RC1.

B.R.,

--
Vinícius Zavam
profiles.google.com/egypcio