9.3-RELEASE still instapanics on multi-mps(4) servers

wollman at bimajority.org wollman at bimajority.org
Sat Aug 23 02:01:12 UTC 2014

A good long while ago, I wrote:

> [...]

With the help of Stephen Mcconnell at Avago, I was eventually able to
pinpoint the issue.  The SAS enclosure device for the chassis hot-swap
backplane was being reported by the firmware as being in "slot 255",
which is impossible.  Updating the firmware (to "phase 19", the latest
released by Avago) and the MPT2 BIOS fixed the problem, and as a
bonus, the enclosure device is now properly recognized (which it
wasn't under 9.2).  There is undoubtedly still a bug in the driver
(both the "phase 16" driver in 9.3 and the "phase 19" driver that
Avago distributes), but since a firmware upgrade fixes it on my test
machine, I'm not going to put any more effort into finding it.

Now I just have to schedule some downtime for upgrading the three
production machines.

-GAWollman