'zfs snapshot' interfering with make_dev() 63 character limit

Harald Schmalzbauer h.schmalzbauer at omnilan.de
Fri Aug 1 14:45:09 UTC 2014

 Hello,

doing 'zfs snapshot' allows me a snapname length longer than
make_dev_p() accepts (63 past /dev/).
This leads to the situation that I can create a snashot of a zvol, but
afterwards it's not accessable because there's no dev available:
g_dev_taste: make_dev_p() failed (gp->name=zvol/…@test63limit, error=63)

Is it desirable to allow longer dev names or limit snapshot names for
zfs volumes?
I haven't looked what zfs limits are, but I frequently have zfs names
longer than 63 characters… Bad choosen? Or do others too have the need
for longer dev names?

Thanks,

-Harry