Unable to mount the root fs on stable/8 r264339, GENERIC kernel, with MBR, FreeBSD slice, and UFS volume labels

Claude Buisson clbuisson at orange.fr
Wed Apr 16 09:41:48 UTC 2014

On 04/16/2014 10:09, Trond Endrestøl wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Apr 2014 19:44+0200, Trond Endrestøl wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 18:38+0200, Trond Endrestøl wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a couple of uncritical systems running stable/8 r258344.
>>> Hardware is Dell OptiPlex GX260, BIOS A09, which is the latest rev.
>>>
>>> The r264339 GENERIC kernel are unable to mount the root fs from the
>>> hard drive using MBR, FreeBSD slice, and UFS volume labels.
>>>
>>> r258344 obviously can.
>>>
>>> I even tried regular device names like /dev/ad0s1a in /etc/fstab, and
>>> at the mountroot> prompt, i.e. ufs:/dev/ad0s1a. The kernel still
>>> cannot mount the root fs.
>>>
>>> The new kernel (r264339) does recognize the ad0 harddrive, and ad0 is
>>> listed as one of the GEOM managed disk devices; acd0 being the other
>>> one.
>>>
>>> Do I need to load additional geom modules, or is it a genuine bug?
>>>
>>> I have recreated the same conditions on a spare GX260, yes, I have
>>> plenty of them.
>>
>> I believe I have identified r262226 as the offending commit.
>>
>> Maybe the flags integer is set to a bad value before the calls to
>> resource_list_alloc().
>>
>> My spare system is currently recompiling r262221 of both world and
>> kernel, and I hope to confirm this assumption in a few hours.
>
> Confirmed.
>
>> If all goes well, I intend to move forward to the latest revision of
>> stable/8, back out the change done to sys/dev/pci/pci.c in r262226,
>> recompile world and kernel, install the kernel, and if successfully,
>> I'll install world as well.
>
> Confirmed, stable/8 r264519 with r262226 backed out does indeed work
> on a Dell OptiPlex GX260, BIOS A09.

Just another data point related to r262226:

Yesterday, I upgraded a stable/8 system from r260539 to r264426, which could not
finish booting. In my case, it stopped just after detecting an agp card (and
could boot if agp was disabled by device.hints).

Reverting r262226 gave me back a fully usable system.

This system is also a Dell, but a (oldish) Dimension 4550 BIOS A08.

> Any chance anyone would like to dig deeper into the matter?
> Should I file a PR?

I think so, if jhb (cced) keep being interested in stable/8..

BTW, this morning I succeeded in booting a stable/10 snapshot r264194 USB stick
on this machine.

>>> In addition there was some problems with the USB subsystem, so I
>>> disabled USB in the BIOS for now. USB is not essential for any of my
>>> systems.
>>
>> I have reenabled the USB options in the BIOS, and I have attached a
>> USB keyboard and a USB mouse, in addition to the PS/2 keyboard. All
>> I/O devices work as they should. Maybe the USB issues were also caused
>> by r262226.
>>
>> Stay tuned.
>
> Happy Easter, all!

CBu