Unable to mount the root fs on stable/8 r264339, GENERIC kernel, with MBR, FreeBSD slice, and UFS volume labels

Trond Endrestøl Trond.Endrestol at fagskolen.gjovik.no
Sat Apr 12 12:02:21 UTC 2014

On Sat, 12 Apr 2014 08:00+0800, Erich Dollansky wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 18:38:04 +0200 (CEST)
> Trond Endrestøl <Trond.Endrestol at fagskolen.gjovik.no> wrote:
>
> > The r264339 GENERIC kernel are unable to mount the root fs from the
> > hard drive using MBR, FreeBSD slice, and UFS volume labels.
>
> does your GENERIC have these options enabled:

No, the GENERIC kernel is untouched by me.

The generic GENERIC kernel contains only:

options 	GEOM_PART_GPT		# GUID Partition Tables.
options 	GEOM_LABEL		# Provides labelization

I'll try the options/modules listed below

> options	GEOM_PART_BSD
> options GEOM_PART_MBR
> options GEOM_PART_GPT
> options GEOM_RAID
> options GEOM_LABEL
> options	GEOM_PART_EBR
> options GEOM_PART_EBR_COMPAT
>
> If not or if you are not sure try to load these modules during boot
> time. Of course, if you do not use GPT or RAID, you do not have to load
> these modules.

If you've followed this thread you'll probably remember me doing some
experiments in VirtualBox at home last evening local time.

An untouched stable/8 GENERIC kernel had no problem mounting the root
fs when told to do so by way of a UFS label, i.e. /dev/ufs/root. I
tried VirtualBox' IDE controller and SCSI controller, and it worked
flawlessly each time.

--
| Vennlig hilsen,               | Best regards,                      |