9.2 Boot Problem

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Wed Apr 9 21:29:20 UTC 2014

On 9 April 2014, at 13:40, Tim Daneliuk <tundra at tundraware.com> wrote:

> Make sure there is a /dev directory on the disk for the kernel to populate. Without it, the kernel will hang.

The disk does have a /dev directory.  The system boots fine after you enter a return.  It hangs waiting for a return on the keyboard.

This last time I used in /boot/loader.conf:

zool# more loader.conf
verbose_loading="YES"
boot_verbose="YES"
loader_color="NO"
loader_logo="beastiebw"
autoboot_delay="10"

System behaved the same on boot other than the menu was complete.  However, I did see something flash on the left bottom of the screen where the Autoboot message normally is.  It was cleared immediately after it was written so there was no way to read it.  Note, this is on the serial console.  I have not seen that before, but it might have been there.  It was just a flash.  I am wondering if something is doing the equivalent of pressing the space bar after the autoboot message is displayed.

I checked and the /boot/defaults/loader.conf file is identical between the system that works and those that do not.  I am going to see if the terminal emulator can disable the screen control functions so I can see what the message that flashes by is.