Note for those pulling in new ZFS feature flags

Paul Mather pmather at vt.edu
Tue Apr 8 05:32:50 UTC 2014

On Apr 7, 2014, at 11:30 AM, Chris Nehren <cnehren+freebsd-stable at pobox.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 07, 2014 at 17:05:32 +0200, Trond Endrestøl wrote:
>> See:
>>
>> http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/stable/10/cddl/contrib/opensolaris/cmd/zpool/zpool_main.c?view=markup#l4992
>>
>> Consider this a lesson learned. Yes, I too was bitten by this once,
>> but never again. ;-) Luckily, I recovered using a snapshot image.
>
> That's funny, because I *specifically* noted the absence of that
> message when I upgraded my pool and spent about 5 minutes
> wondering if it was needed or not.  Either way, I think I'll opt
> to doing the bootcode thing every time as well.

Oddly enough, I was bitten by this recently, too, and had the same
thing happen.  I upgraded a pool and was struck by the fact that I
*wasn't* urged to update the boot code and so, after pondering "maybe
this means I don't have to" decided not to.  Of course, the system
wouldn't boot and I had to rescue it via a memstick.

I prefer the unconditional warning. :-)

Cheers,

Paul.