How to remove X11 support and all ports options depend on X11

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Mon Apr 7 06:05:41 UTC 2014

On 07/04/2014 04:08, illoai at gmail.com wrote:
> On 6 April 2014 22:14, Yushu Gao <shuokay at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am new to FreeBSD, I have used Gentoo before. I want to remove the X11
>> support and all ports options depend on it, I know how to remove X11
>> support, but I cannot find out how to remove all ports options depand on
>> it. Can someone kindly tell me the method ?
>>

> You can try adding the old
> WITHOUT_X11=yes
> to /etc/make.conf, but you will probably be required
> (at some point) to make sure you don't have any conflicting
> options* set (via "make config" in the port directory) when
> things go poorly.
>

> *for instance: WITH_QT4=yes
> has caused problems in the past, since QT4 requires X11
> The ports system is not perfect.  Sorry.

Unfortunately, neither is your advice.  'WITHOUT_X11' is obsolete.  What
you want nowadays is:

    OPTIONS_UNSET+=	x11

Note that this can be overridden by OPTIONS settings in individual
ports.  It sets the default to off, and turns off X11 for ports where
you haven't run the options dialogue.

See the comments at the top of /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.options.mk for more detail.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.