9.2-PRE: switch off that stupid "Nakatomi Socrates"

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sat Sep 28 10:17:58 UTC 2013

On 28/09/2013 11:32, Phil Regnauld wrote:
> 	To the offended poster: read the last line of tunefs(8) - there's probably
> 	many more places you could use serious time looking for deviations from
> 	corporate correctnes.

There used to be a function in the shutdown utility called
die_you_gravy_sucking_pig_dog() which was actually the very last
function call made by shutdown(8) on a normal system shutdown.

I believe humourless corporate types were instrumental in having that
function renamed to something bland a few years back.

However, now it's back, as of r238968:

http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/sbin/shutdown/shutdown.c?r1=235855&r2=238968

This stuff comes and goes.  Personally, I think the developers
exhibiting a sense of humour and a spark of personality is the sort of
thing that leads me to trust a lot more in a code base than their
appearing as a horde of bland corporate drones.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.