9.2-PRE: switch off that stupid "Nakatomi Socrates"

Teske, Devin Devin.Teske at fisglobal.com
Fri Sep 27 22:32:14 UTC 2013

On Sep 27, 2013, at 3:06 PM, David Demelier wrote:

> On 21.09.2013 12:40, Matthew Seaman wrote:
>> On 21/09/2013 11:31, O. Hartmann wrote:
>>> I'd like to switch off this silly "Nakatomi Socrates" message which
>>> reminds me on Linux and their childish naming schemes.
>>>
>>> It is only cosmetics, but it bothers me whenever I switch on the laptop.
>>>
>>> I guess there is a switch already prsent to have in the bootloader
>>> config?
>>
>> It's turned off by default in more recent 9.2-STABLE
>>
>> Otherwise:
>>
>> loader_logo="orb"
>>
>> in /boot/loader.conf  -- see loader.conf(5)
>>
>> 	Cheers,
>>
>> 	Matthew
>>

> Hi,
>
> I have loader_logo="orb" and I still have a message at the right bottom
> with that stupid joke.

"Named Releases" is far from a joke.

Maybe you'd like something a bit more boring like "9.2-RELEASE"

The fact is... there is (and only ever will be) one iteration of FreeBSD 9.2.

I assume that you have had no clue up until this point that there was yet
another BSD 9.2. A fictitious version of BSD in a 1980's film, named...

	Nakatomi Socrates

Yeah, we could have decided to let the opportunity pass; to show that we're
the first BSD to ever hit 9.2 out of all the flavors, producing the first ever
non-fictitious BSD 9.2...

But where would the fun be in that?

Rest assured... I've not seen *any* hollywood films with a number higher
than 9.2... so our future looks pretty darn boring.

The "name" for 10.0-RELEASE could very well be NULL or boring ol'

	10.0-RELEASE

But one thing is clear.

There is a real tangible benefit to seeing the version on the boot screen.

As we move to integrate BE's into the Forth boot screen, it may become
paramount to know what version of loader(8) you're using.

So please try not to be so judge-mental about these things.

This is a real tangible improvement and simply because you've heard
that those crazy people in Linux-land are naming their releases...

That had zero bearing on why we did it. We may never name another release
ever again.

I personally would like to see loader(8) set the value to include an SVN revision
so that everytime you rebuild loader(8), the version info updates; displayed
prominently in the bottom right corner (which of course... you'll again be free to
override it if you don't like it... just as you are free to completely disable the
entire menu by adding beastie_disable=YES to loader.conf(8)).
--
Devin